Saturday, August 9, 2014

My Tour of a Wildlife Rescue Center


Most people know me as a writer of scary books, but I also love nature and have a soft spot for animals. This past week I got the opportunity to tour a wildlife rescue center in Central Texas that rescues baby raccoons and skunks. Here are some fun photos.

 
I learned that when baby animals lose their mothers and become orphaned, they are rescued and taken to a wildlife intake center where they are fed, nurtured, and taken care of. This gives them the best chance of survival. When the animals are mature enough, they are released back into the wild.

The wildlife center that I visited was currently caring for close to 40 baby skunks and 4 raccoons. At first, I was apprehensive about going anywhere near a skunk, but learned the babies don't tend to spray unless spooked or stepped on and will usually give you plenty of warning by bouncing up and down. The skunks I met were all very tamed.

 
Holding a baby skunk named "Flower"

 I found out quickly that Flower 
likes to gently nibble your ear.

 
 These guys were as curious and playful
as a litter of kittens.




  
 The raccoons were quite curious
to see visitors.

 
 
This raccoon is thinking about 
getting in the hammock.


 
 Here's a guinea hen that freely walks the property.

 

This retreat center requires donations to cover the costs of food and supplies for the animals. If you would like to make a donation, you can visit the website below and donate to:

Texas Metro Wildlife Rehabilitators

http://www.txmetrowildlife.org














1 comment: