Thursday, March 31, 2016

Guest Author David Bernstein: Why I Worry About Every Book I Write



Horror Author David Bernstein is becoming one of the most prolific writers I know and a very talented one at that. He’s written a wide variety of great books including Skinner, Witch Island, and the Machines of the Dead series, to name a few.



Today, Bernstein shares his cross-genre writing style and things he worries about as a writer. He’s also got a new collection out called Mixed Bag of Blood.

Why I Worry About Every Book I Write
By David Bernstein

I worry about every book I write. I suppose a number of writers do the same thing, but I worry for a different reason than most. I’d guess the number one concern for a writer is if readers will like their work. It’s only natural. As horror fiction writers, we want to entertain. Give people a way to escape from the real world. We want people to like what we’ve created. However, as writers we should also expect not to please everyone. It’s just not possible and every writer should get this through their head. Don’t worry about bad reviews. It comes with the territory of being an author. The key is to have more positive reviews than negative. If you accomplish this you’ve done something right.

But that’s not why I worry when I put out a book, and it’s kind of my own fault. You see I love writing horror fiction, but I have a problem. I enjoy writing all kinds of horror fiction. 
My books vary in tone, violence, and subgenre. “The Unhinged” is so different from “Tears of No Return” I’m afraid I’ll confuse readers as what to expect from me. “The Unhinged” is as violent and gory as a book gets while “Tears of No Return” has mostly movie-action type violence—guns and breaking bones. Not much blood. Every new book is like a mystery package. What will Dave’s next book be—Sci-fi horror? Backwoods killers? Goblins? A demon turd? A man who pukes whenever he has sex? A B-movie slasher? Demonic possession? Will it be gore-filled or atmospheric?

But I can’t help it. I love writing all over the place and I hope readers like that I do that. That’s why I was so excited to have “A Mixed Bag of Blood” published. It shows how much I enjoy writing a variety of tales—from scary, to bloody, to gore-filled, to flat out balls to the wall insane. 

Don’t get me wrong. I love knowing there are certain authors I can go to and know to a degree what I’ll get. If someone can tell a great tale, that’s all I really care about. After all, we have to do what we love.
-----
A Mixed Bag of Blood synopsis
From a man seeking vengeance for a dead loved one, to a monster lodged in a person’s nose, to starving vampires and samurai battling zombies, a bully meeting his gruesome demise, along with prostitutes being sacrificed, a boy who refuses to stop swearing, and the consequences of one man’s night of unprotected sex comes a dark and disturbing collection of sinister tales filled with dread, bloodshed, humor and the bizarre.
This is a Mixed Bag of Blood.
Available now at Amazon

Praise for A Mixed Bag of Blood
"Dave Bernstein let his mind wander and his pen write where I know you'll want to read. With an introduction by Kristropher Rufty, this is a reason to stay at home and read on a pleasant Saturday afternoon like I did."

Cat After Dark 


Praise for David Bernstein

"David Bernstein delivers a fast-moving tale of desire and destruction that gives new meaning to the words, 'Be careful what you wish for.' Relic of Death twists reality and will leave you reflecting on your own personal Achilles heel long after you finished reading…" —Allan Leverone, author of Mr. Midnight

"A fascinating, unpredictable, ever-shifting tale of greed and desperation. Highly recommended!" —Jeff Strand, author of Pressure


David Bernstein is originally from a small town in Upstate New York called Salisbury Mills. He now resides in NYC and misses being surrounded by chainsaw-wielding maniacs and wild backwoods people that like to eat raw human flesh. He’s grown used to the city, though hiding bodies is much harder there. He is the author of Amongst the Dead, Damaged Souls, The Tree Man, Witch Island, Relic of Death, Apartment 7C and the forthcoming Episodes of Violence. David writes all kinds of horror, from hair-raising ghost stories to gore-filled slashers and apocalyptic tales of terror. He loves hearing from his readers. You can reach him on Facebook, at www.facebook.com/david.bernstein.3. Visit him at his website: davidbernsteinauthor.blogspot.com email dbern77@hotmail.com, or on Twitter at @Bernsteinauthor.



1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to David Bernstein! It's fantastic that he is able to show his versatility as a Horror Author.

    I don't have any of my work published. However, some of it has been bound to my chapbook at Carthage College from 10 years ago. Maybe someday, I will make time again to revise my short stories and have them published. Being a 1-woman show and a blogger on your own website is time demanding.

    Anyway, congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete