Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Guest Post from Hunter Shea

Today, I'm thrilled to have horror author Hunter Shea as a guest on my blog. This month his novella, Swamp Monster Massacre, releases through Samhain Horror.



Aside from my family, there are two things I’m fanatically passionate about : all things horror and baseball. As a Mets fan, I know full well the horror that a long season can bring. But that’s another story for another time.

One day I was attempting to break down the different horror subgenres in such a way that I could equate them to some aspect of baseball. Why I was doing this, I may never know, but it kept me busy for an afternoon.

Basically, I see 4 types of horror (and when I say horror, I mean horror in books, movies, TV).

First base : Ghosts. From the terror of The Haunting to The Others, this is, for me, the creepiest category. When I wrote my ghost novel, Forest of Shadows, I made it to first with my eyes on stealing second.

Second Base : Demons/The Devil. Nothing like a good dose of the ultimate evil to get the heart pumping. This is where you’ll find The Exorcist, The Omen and The Dark Redemption series. My second book, Evil Eternal was my successful slide into second.

Third Base : Monsters. Here’s where you’ll find Frankenstein, vampires, werewolves, zombies, etc. My new novella, Swamp Monster Massacre, has me standing on third, eyeing home plate. The fact that it has Monster in the title was my free pass to hoof it to third.

Home Plate : Killers/Madmen.  Now this is one that I’ve only explored in short fiction. Serial killers like Henry Lee Lucas, Norman Bates, and that crazy ass dude from American Psycho leave the plate red with blood. I know I have to live with these basket cases at some point so I can finally tap the plate with my cleat and head to the dugout.

Next time up, maybe I’ll swing for the grand slam, which will be a book that combines all four categories. I may need therapy after that one. Well, more than I already get.

Until then, I hope you enjoy my triple…I mean, novella, Swamp Monster Massacre. You want action? You got it. You want some angry Skunk Apes (just a smellier Bigfoot)? You got ‘em in spades.  Take a trip to the Florida Everglades with small time criminal Rooster Murphy as he tries to hack his way out of the swamp with a band of kidnapped tourists.

Until then, I’ll get to work on heading home.

And if you think I missed a category or I’m just plain off my nut, let me know. I’m always happy to open up the playing field. 

If you're looking for fresh new horror, check out Hunter Shea's books: Forest of Shadows, Evil Eternal, and Swamp Monster Massacre.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I am looking forward to reading this one after my schedule slows down a bit. I'll admit Swamp monsters aren't really my thing, but after reading Evil Eternal, I'm willing to give your take on them a shot.
    Best of luck to you. Can't wait for that slide into home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm trying to think of a book, already on the market, that meets your definition of a grand slam. I keep running into the wall that separates the paranormal from serial killers and their ilk. Do you have an example or two?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I'm having trouble thinking of a grand slam book or movie, too. See, all the more reason to really swing for the fences! :)

    ReplyDelete