Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Procrastination Day

Today was a challenging day. I could not for the life of me stay motivated. I got up at 6:00 a.m. and started the morning putting together my press release. I got bored with it really quick and called it a day by 8:30 a.m. Yes, I know. Slacker!

The press release is what my publicist sends out to newspapers and magazines so they can publish an article about me. The challenge is I have to write the content that goes into that article, so newspaper editors can just copy paste it into their columns. Journalistic writing is just not as fun as writing a chapter of a novel. I enjoy making stuff up, creating fantasy worlds and imaginary people. I'd much rather being immersed in a scene seeing what my characters are going to do next. I almost never know what they're going to do until I get into the scene.

The next novel I'm working on, Dead of Winter, has a whole cast of troubled characters, including two exorcists trying to solve the mystery of an unholy plague. Also I counted at least two love triangles. And there's a lot of sex in it. I'm not sure what's going through my head these days, but this book, which is set in Canada during the mid 1800's, is much spicier than my World War II thriller.

So today I got little accomplished and I'm feeling the pressure of my debut novel, Shadows in the Mist, releasing in three weeks. Back when I was only dreaming of being published, I thought when my first book releases I'd be kicking back drinking champagne on a yacht somewhere, enjoying the good life. But instead I'm having to work double time writing my blog, updating my website, writing press releases. No wonder I slacked off today. I'm feeling a bit overhwelmed. Oh, well, at least I got my blog entry in.

No comments:

Post a Comment